Sunday, April 02, 2006

Selective memories!

I was listening to the songs of Qayamat se qayamat tak. The songs always remind me of my childhood days spent at my granny's house. We used to spend most of our vacation there. I have a whole lot of cousins in my maternal side. Currently we are 23 in number :-D, those days we must be around 15. And I lead this bunch :-D. Since girls dont go out there, all our activities were confined to the terrace where we would play our own little games with the music running in the background. The terrace there has a room, a hall and an open air verandah. The windows in the room open into the verandah and one had to pass through the hall to go the verandah. So acting was one of our games. We kids would enact out movie scenes or stories in the room :-D And my hometown specialises in horror stories. Being a small village, spooky stories and total belief in them is abundant there. My uncle would often narrate such stories. So one day, we were enacting out Purani Haveli (this was a B-grade movie I think) . To create the ambience, we had closed the windows and made the room dark and gloomy. So while we were busy being the bhoots, my uncle sneaked up to the verandah and knocked hard on the closed window. The whole battalion ran out screaming and while going down we ensured that the terrace was sealed so that the bhoot/my uncle doesnt come down :-D

When people tell me that I dont have a good memory of my childhood, Ill say I have clear, vivid memories of few things and others which were irrelevant were forgotten :-) I remember going with my grandpa to the rivulet that passed our village, the rare trips to the plantations close to this stream, happy ramzans spent there, playing on the big swing in our house, childhood boyfriend (:-D who is getting married next month), and being pampered by all and sundry.
Thank god our brain chucks out irrelevant and unpleasant memories on its own. Else we would be in so much confusion and misery. Those were such carefree days!!
Koi lauta de mere beete huye din :-D

3 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine said...

i remember the uncle waala story! heehhee...i am getting all nostalgic these days too, missing home and my dear india a lot...

Sanjana said...

Aw! u got me nostalgic now :-(!!
.. Say remember Benji ma'am and cutting hindi class :-p

Tamanna said...

Its ok sunanda.. India or rather Chennai is pretty hot these days. Hey but do come and stay here when u come to India..

Sanju
One of these days I want to go meet benji ma'm but then shenaz and akila scare me off. They have been asking me to give a talk to the students!!! Im the best one to talk if the students want any bit of demotivation.