More than a decade back, a serial based on the life of the Urdu poet Mirza Ghalib used to be telecast on DoorDarshan. I developed a liking for his poetry thenceforth. As I recall, Ghalib lived in the age when Bahadur Shah Zafar ruled over Delhi, though his "ruling" is subject to doubt. He was an old man. Himself being a good poet, his court was adorned by many famous poets of the time including Ghalib, Mir Taqi Mir who said
(Mind you kaafir is not used in a derogatory way here. Infact I dont think it was supposed to be used that way anywhere. Again, an example of narrow-mindedness taking over logic.)
In the serial directed by Gulzar, these shers (couplets) were sung beautifully by Jagjit Singh and Chitra Singh. Ghalib was played to perfection by Naseeruddin Shah. The album is available in the market but what I would like to own is the whole serial in CDs if available. DD used to telecast superb serials in those days. I can distinctly remember Farmaan, Zabaan sambhalke, Shanti, Circus. I remember my parents watching Hum log, Buniyaad, Tamas etc. I wish I was a bit more grown up to have appreciated and enjoyed them. I especially missed the whole series of Bharat Ek Khoj, Chanakya, Fauji ( I admit this is a criminal offence for an ardent SRK fan :-(. ). The K serials of today cannot even compete with those serials.
PS; This is yet another post written at midnight when sleep eluded my tired eyes. The shers here have been quoted from memory. So I dont claim them to be perfectly correct.
Laayi hayaath aaye khazaa le chali chale
Na apni khushi the aaye na apni khushi chale.
Ghalib's main passions were wine and women and he expressed this love eloquently through his poetry.Na apni khushi the aaye na apni khushi chale.
Kaafir na intezaar me neend aaye umr bhar
aane ka ahad kar gaye aaye jo khwaab mein
oraane ka ahad kar gaye aaye jo khwaab mein
Ghalib chuti sharaab par ab bhi kabhi kabhi
peeta hoon roz ye abro-shab-e-mahtaab mein
His couplets are simple yet profound for instance,peeta hoon roz ye abro-shab-e-mahtaab mein
Har ek baat pe kehte ho ke tu kya hai
tumhi kaho ke ye andaaz-e-guftagu kya hai
ortumhi kaho ke ye andaaz-e-guftagu kya hai
Ragon mein daudte phirne ke hum nahi kaayal
jo aankh hi se na tapkaa to phir lahu kya hai.
********
jo aankh hi se na tapkaa to phir lahu kya hai.
********
Hazaaron khwahishein aisi ki har khwaahish pe damm nikle
Bahut nikle mere armaan magar fir bhi kamm nikle
Bahut nikle mere armaan magar fir bhi kamm nikle
These two lines which (I claim) sum up my personality perfectly are also penned by him. Rest of this ghazal goes as..
Nikalna khuld se aadam ka sunte aaye hain lekin
bahut be-aabroo hokar tere kooche se hum nikle
bahut be-aabroo hokar tere kooche se hum nikle
Mohabbat mein nahi hai farq jeene aur marne ka
usi ko dekh kar jeete hain jis kaafir par dum nikle
Khudaa ke vaaste purdah nakaabi si utha zaalim
kahin aisa na ho yon bhi wahi kaatil sanam nikle
*********
usi ko dekh kar jeete hain jis kaafir par dum nikle
Khudaa ke vaaste purdah nakaabi si utha zaalim
kahin aisa na ho yon bhi wahi kaatil sanam nikle
*********
(Mind you kaafir is not used in a derogatory way here. Infact I dont think it was supposed to be used that way anywhere. Again, an example of narrow-mindedness taking over logic.)
In the serial directed by Gulzar, these shers (couplets) were sung beautifully by Jagjit Singh and Chitra Singh. Ghalib was played to perfection by Naseeruddin Shah. The album is available in the market but what I would like to own is the whole serial in CDs if available. DD used to telecast superb serials in those days. I can distinctly remember Farmaan, Zabaan sambhalke, Shanti, Circus. I remember my parents watching Hum log, Buniyaad, Tamas etc. I wish I was a bit more grown up to have appreciated and enjoyed them. I especially missed the whole series of Bharat Ek Khoj, Chanakya, Fauji ( I admit this is a criminal offence for an ardent SRK fan :-(. ). The K serials of today cannot even compete with those serials.
PS; This is yet another post written at midnight when sleep eluded my tired eyes. The shers here have been quoted from memory. So I dont claim them to be perfectly correct.
5 comments:
Good post on Ghalib. Mirza Ghalib na sirf Urdu shayri balki aalami adab ka bhi iftikhar hain.
Thanks and very true :)
Last Line of ur Post: very true :D
I will not be exagretting if i say you blog is really good and the name chosen is quite appropriate. You seems to have good interest in urdu poetry.
But i differ where you said " Ghaib's main passions were wine and women"
As far i have know, the ghazal always have two meanings, one "ISHQIYA" and other "KUDAIA" you can interpret either way.
Best way to look into it is look at the poet's life.
Ghalib wrote romantic poetry when he was young. As he grew older, his financial status and health both deteriorated and he grew more and impatient so his poetry also became more of "SHIKWA" (offcourse to ALLAH).......and towards the end of his life he went to extreem. He died as a SHIA.
"UN KE DEKHE SE MUN MEIN AA JATI HAI JO RONAQ....
WOH SAMAJHTE HAIN KI BEEMAR KAHAN, ACHA HAI "
"UN HI ROTA RAHA GHAIB TO AYE AHLE JAHAN........
DEKHNA TUM EK DIN, YE BASTIYAN WIRAN HO GAIN......."
"HUM NE MANA KI TAGHAFUL NA KARO YE LEKIN.........
KHAK HO JAENGE HUN, TUM KO KHABAR HONE TAK........."
There is some truth to what "Its me" siad and its also a known fact that its very difficult to interprete Ghalib completely. The following sher told about Ghalib summerises it all.
Zubaan-e-Mirja samjahen ya Qalam-e-Mir samajhen
Inka kaha yeh khud samajhen ya khuda samjhe.
Post a Comment