Friday, January 23, 2009

A new find- Alexander McCall Smith


Few months back, I was tagged by Sanjana, who had asked me to list five of my favorite book quotes. I have been thinking and thinking and nothing comes to mind, except Gone with the wind's "I'll think about it tomorrow" :-D
I guess what I retain are the stories and the sketches, and I forget dialogues.
There is another in Harry Potter series, where Dumbledore says
"Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young."
In fact, I think I would pick most of my quotes from the Harry Potter and Bartimaeus series. Sorry for breaking the continuity Sanju :-)

I have been reading this book called "The No.1 ladies' detective agency" by Alexander McCall Smith. And this book has a lot of quotable quotes. Mainly, it is a good story told in a simple style. Do check out. It classifies as a good read in my opinion.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny thing…I always remember the dialogues and forget the story…so many times picked up a novel…read a first couple of pages feeling the story sounds kinda familiar and then a dialogue comes by which somehow gets burned in the memory…and voila…itz time to run back to the store..wondering if he would Exchange the novel for a brand new one!!! Myself I have been reading Fedrick forsyths “No comeback” at present ( I have a sinking feeling I have read it before) but man!! Thatz s some collection of 10 short stories…U read his stories and u know some ppl are actually blessed with the gift of words (hey didn’t Dafney Mam used to say a word ….of course!! The Gift of Gab!!!!!...Groan! had lost solid 5 marks because of the stupid Amul Ad!) Hold on…where was I? oh yeah Forsyth…phew!! Who could ever imagine that someone could spin a page turner thriller short story of sumthing as mundane as fishing!!! But thatz him!! The Gab Guy!!!...check it out if u can …u already have a piling books to Read!
..and as far as going with recommendations of Tammanna Mam goes…my experience says to follow her blindly…if she says the book is good…it really turns out to be good!! The Barteamus triology..which mam so cunningly gifted me only the first part (forcing me to buy the second two volumes by shelling out my money) not only made me hooked, but so was patz and her whole friend Circle!! Well Actually U have been single handedly responsible for jumpstarting quite a lot of things among the same circle…say blogging, orkutting, and the barteamus reading!!! Gosh!! If one actually listened to everything she said…would be a matter of time before she converts the rest of us like her!! I shudder to even Imagine!!!
Here r couple of quotes I read which somehow have been “burned” in my memory..Dont even know if they were from a novel or a movie….just the dialogue remains! ( Maybe someone remembers which book they r from..and help this guy loosing his Little “Grey Cells”) 
1. A street dweller reading a second hand copy of a novel remarking “Which Sadist, tears out the last pages from a Mystery Novel”!
2. “The Law of Probablilty says that if 100 men toss a coin simultaneously 100 times…they r bound to turn up about 50 heads in average…It never rules out that there could be One guy who tossing the coin 100 times…always turns up head!! Now he is the luckiest guy on the whole planet”
3. “Using a Silencer on an automatic never guarantees absolute silence as shown in the movies…there is always a million seconds of time when the magazine opens up to discharge the used clip, enough to produce a hell of a sound”
4. “Kidnapping is so easy…I wonder why ppl make it tough by announcing when they r gonna kidnap the person”
5. “if an alien was to look at our planet from his spaceship and report to his superiors what he saw from up above he would say sumthing like their transportation is similar to blood corposules flowing thru intertwined arteries”
6. “India has a lot of potential, but it could never be a superpower because of all its differences” – one line in the whole novel summarizing the fate of india!
7. “The people in the developed nations are actually living in the future!! They face problems, challenges and facilities what developing nations would experience years later!”
8. This was some novel, the name of which slips my memory, it was about this guy who wanted to stop the Crimes of Nazi’s by going back in time and making sure hitler was never born, only to realize that by doing so, he helped create a man far more ruthless than hitler…and he sums the whole thing up by sumthing as “ Itz not about the time or the situation that makes a guy do horrible things…itz in the DNA!”
9. “People are fools who think the whole world is going to end because of some nuclear bomb explosion or something even worse…Life always finds a means to survive..The oxygen so important for every living being right now…was once a poison for the species before! “
10. “The guy who invented the Wheel…He was just an inventor! The guy who added three more wheels and called it an Automobile…now he was an Entrepreneur”

Tamanna said...

Woww this collection of quotes makes me want to google to find the books. Thanks S.
So Sanjana, sanju carries ur tag forward :-D

(Is 9, from a Michael Crichton book?)

Little Miss Sunshine said...

It is a very cute book! Didn't you want to make red tea and sip it every now and then, the way they did in the book? :)
Have I already suggested 'Poisonwood bible' and 'Blind Assassin' to you? Great books, check them out when you get a chance.

Sanjana said...

Sorry for the very late response dear. I am afraid life intervened and i have neither blogged nor read them in over two months.
But all this talk on this book has made me very curious to read it.
Yes Tamanna, its good to see the tag getting carried forward.
But dont worry about it..i broke three tags myself. After a time it loses its charm :-)

Tamanna said...

@ms sunshine
Yeah, isn't it such a slow paced relaxed life. Maybe it was this way before man started inventing :-D

I got the 'blind assasin' issued. I have never tried this author. Will check out :)
Hey have u read this detective series by ngaio marsh? I have seen a collection in the library, never tried yet. suggest.

Hey Sanjana
Try out that mccall smith series. I'm onto the 6th one now. Its good. I couldn't read Ponniyan selvan. These days, I get to read on my way to work, and that book is a bit bulky to carry in my bag :-D So just dint get arnd to reading it b4 the due date.
Anyway, will try sometime in life :)