Monday, January 17, 2005

Books and movies

Have you heard the soundtrack of Kisna ? Its very good especially the track Hum rahe na rahe reminds of the book The Far Pavilions by MM Kaye. This book had a similar theme: that of an Englishman in pre-independence era who grew up with Indian guardians and falls in love with an Indian princess. This book was written by an english-woman who lived in India at that time. The book is what people call spellbinding. The story is told in a very Indian way without the look-down-upon-you attitude that the British generally take up. The story takes place in Kashmir, Bombay, Rajasthan, MP and finally ends in Afghanistan which was a part of the British India at that time. A very romantic book and worth going through the 1400 and odd pages.
Well the soundtrack of Kisna does give me a feel of that kind and I hope I get to see the movie. I cant stand Vivek Oberoi but will give the movie a try, atleast for Subhash Ghai's ability to give a movie that dream-like quality.

Its amazing the way some books have the ability to weave an imaginary world around the reader. I felt the same with Gone with the wind, Lord of the rings, and recently with Holy fools and Chocolat by Joanne Harris. I firmly believe that the original books are 100 times better than their movie adaptations as when we read the book we use our imagination to picturise what the author says but the movies always leave us with a sense of could-be-better-shown. I felt this in the case of the Harry potter series and LOTR series.

No comments: