Friday, August 12, 2005

Magic in the air..

I have been hopping in and out of the magical world the past few days. I wish real life also had a bit of magic in it..

I read two really good books belonging to two completely different genre -
Harry Potter- Half Blood Prince

Well for those who haven't read it yet I advise them to check this website out as the rest of my monologue on this book might be a spoiler for them.
I liked this part better than the previous book The Order of Phoenix. I think OoP was a bit monotonous and a bit dull. HBP has more variety and spice in it. Ok I admit all that stuff between Ron and Hermione was a bit boring but new insights into Voldemorts life were interesting. All the while I felt Voldemort is the HBP and it turned out to be Snape!! And I think Dumbledore's death after a seemingly wasted expedition seemed out of place. I'm sure that chain has a more vital role to play and Dumbledore's role doesn't end here.
An interesting analysis on Dumbledore's death has been given here. Going through the website, I realised how passionate some Harry Potter fans could be. :-)

Second book I read was Joanne Harris' Blackberry wine.

I found it exceptionally good. I even think she is the best author I have ever read in my life. I have indeed read the classics and the superhits in literature but l I think I like her best. I have mentioned her books here earlier - Chocolat, Five Quarters of an Orange, Holy Fools. I still have to read the rest. Some time in my life, I intend collecting all her books.
Like her other books, food is always a background theme. Here, a wine bottle tells the story of a writer Jay who is facing a big writer's block after his first novel. He rediscovers some old wine bottles in his cellar and that takes him back to the past. On an impulse, he buys a flat in a remote village untouched by the damages of the modern life. And then between flashbacks to his past, the story moves on in the new village ( -called Lansquenet. Chocolat is also based on the people in the same village). The story is garnished with magic or what seems to be magic like in the book Chocolat. :-) An enchanting experience :-D
A new book of hers is releasing this year. Will look forward to reading that and the others which I have not yet read.
Check out the Joanne Harris website.

Paulo Coelho's new book called Zahir is also releasing this year. I read the first chapter of the book from his website and I get the feeling that this book will also be an experience in itself. I did not like his Eleven minutes much. It had a good theme but I don't think I understood it :-D plus the girl faces so much in her life that I could not digest it. But I think this book will be different mainly so because the main character in the book travels a lot :-D and he learns things in his travels. I thought it might be on the lines of Alchemist. Wouldn't it be fun to travel like that without the confines that we live within in our day-to-day life !! I have been fascinated by so many characters in literature who live like that ! In fact, I liked Strider of Lord of the Rings more than King Aragorn :-D

We followed the Landing of Discovery on Tuesday very keenly :-D The minute to minute update had an Armageddon feeling to it :-D My childhood dream had been to become an Aeronautical engineer. So that day was also laced with I-wish feelings. Anyways hope I have great days ahead as a good Physicist :-D
Have a nice weekend :-)

No comments: