A few of my colleagues and me went to the Guindy National Park (GNP) for a nature walk today early in the morning. I could still see the moon in the sky. It was that early !
It was a lovely experience. We took the nature trails that the forest offcials had already laid out. This is a longer trail and passes through the dense forest. GNP is a harmless forest. Atleast thats what I felt there today. I mean the fauna is mainly deers (spotted deers and black bucks), jackals and snakes, mongoose etc and a vast variety of birds. We didnt spot any of the dangerous animals on that list :-D
It has many varieties of flora though. The place was so untouched by humans that one could smell the greenery - you know when a tree is cut, it gives out a distinct kind of smell - that kind. Plus, we could smell the fragrance of the different flowers blooming there. Imagine no pollution, no odious deodorants, no orcs. Just pure nature. This must have been the way it was when Adam and Eve came here. God's way of compensation for chucking them out of heaven. But then, Adam carried the grudge on his mind anyway and destroyed this place as well. I'm digressing.
Back to this, there was this picture-book area which had tall trees and small and very green shrubs/ plants ( My zoology+botany sense is almost zilch). Colourful flowers were blooming on the plants. And sunlight was filtering through the leaves. I have seen such pictures on desktops and Natgeos. This was my first-hand experience of such beauty.
While returning, we went a little off-trail. There was this little valley-like area behind the bushes. This led to a very small pond with some water in it. The whole place had the leaf-laden tree branches as the roof. It was very peaceful there. One could sit there for hours just listening to the bird-calls. To complete the picture, a very blue kingfisher flew in and perched on a branch hanging above this pond. From there, instead of getting back on trail, my friends lead us through the denser forest. I was very sceptical but followed anyway (Im a ninny when it comes to adventures. I just dream of them). We saw some bones of deers too. We were joking that we would also be there if we cant find our way back :-D
Finally, we came out through a gate into the children's park (a mini zoo here) which officially opens to public at 9. We were in there at 8.30 :-D Anyway, we had special permission so that was ok. Many of the animals like spotted deers, blackbucks, monkeys and birds which were free to roam in GNP were in cages here. What's the purpose of zoos ? In this day and age, kids can very well see these animals online. Atleast the enclosures should be larger than what they are at present. A wild-life sanctuary makes more sense. He he I think, we being denizens of few square meter labs, are in a similar situation.
I don't have any pictures of this trip but I think this will stay in my memory - a beautiful trek in the backyard.
We were in Delhi when I was a kid. And I used to look forward to Chennai-Delhi trips in the summer. This route has awesome sceneries. But then, I think you travel anywhere in India, you get to see beautiful sceneries - every region with its own unique beauty. This particular route has mountains and very deep valleys (near Itarsi) , rivers, a very green Andhra.. So I used to (and I still) dream about
roaming around in those areas where no humans have gone before. Imagine a trek from the source of a river to its destination..
That would be lovely ...
It was a lovely experience. We took the nature trails that the forest offcials had already laid out. This is a longer trail and passes through the dense forest. GNP is a harmless forest. Atleast thats what I felt there today. I mean the fauna is mainly deers (spotted deers and black bucks), jackals and snakes, mongoose etc and a vast variety of birds. We didnt spot any of the dangerous animals on that list :-D
It has many varieties of flora though. The place was so untouched by humans that one could smell the greenery - you know when a tree is cut, it gives out a distinct kind of smell - that kind. Plus, we could smell the fragrance of the different flowers blooming there. Imagine no pollution, no odious deodorants, no orcs. Just pure nature. This must have been the way it was when Adam and Eve came here. God's way of compensation for chucking them out of heaven. But then, Adam carried the grudge on his mind anyway and destroyed this place as well. I'm digressing.
Back to this, there was this picture-book area which had tall trees and small and very green shrubs/ plants ( My zoology+botany sense is almost zilch). Colourful flowers were blooming on the plants. And sunlight was filtering through the leaves. I have seen such pictures on desktops and Natgeos. This was my first-hand experience of such beauty.
While returning, we went a little off-trail. There was this little valley-like area behind the bushes. This led to a very small pond with some water in it. The whole place had the leaf-laden tree branches as the roof. It was very peaceful there. One could sit there for hours just listening to the bird-calls. To complete the picture, a very blue kingfisher flew in and perched on a branch hanging above this pond. From there, instead of getting back on trail, my friends lead us through the denser forest. I was very sceptical but followed anyway (Im a ninny when it comes to adventures. I just dream of them). We saw some bones of deers too. We were joking that we would also be there if we cant find our way back :-D
Finally, we came out through a gate into the children's park (a mini zoo here) which officially opens to public at 9. We were in there at 8.30 :-D Anyway, we had special permission so that was ok. Many of the animals like spotted deers, blackbucks, monkeys and birds which were free to roam in GNP were in cages here. What's the purpose of zoos ? In this day and age, kids can very well see these animals online. Atleast the enclosures should be larger than what they are at present. A wild-life sanctuary makes more sense. He he I think, we being denizens of few square meter labs, are in a similar situation.
I don't have any pictures of this trip but I think this will stay in my memory - a beautiful trek in the backyard.
We were in Delhi when I was a kid. And I used to look forward to Chennai-Delhi trips in the summer. This route has awesome sceneries. But then, I think you travel anywhere in India, you get to see beautiful sceneries - every region with its own unique beauty. This particular route has mountains and very deep valleys (near Itarsi) , rivers, a very green Andhra.. So I used to (and I still) dream about
roaming around in those areas where no humans have gone before. Imagine a trek from the source of a river to its destination..
That would be lovely ...
No comments:
Post a Comment