Saturday, June 17, 2006

Mushaira

Indscribe often puts up information about Urdu poetry and the poets on his blog Mindspeak. I found the link to the mushaira clippings of Khumar Barabankvi on his blog. Try them out. Simple Urdu and beautifully said.
( psst psst.. did u notice the man behind the poet. Isnt smoking in a mehfil impolite?? He is so restless!!! )

tere dar se uTh kar jidhar jaauuN main

The mushairas must be a very colourful gathering. I have not attended one yet. My father says that in his younger days they used to have mushaira gatherings at their home, organised by his BIL. He used to invite the poets who lived in and around Madras. His BIL lived a very active life.. That house has lost its life after him.

6 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine said...

will you promise me one thing? If ever you go to a mushaira, you will invite me too? I am sure by that time I'll learn enough urdu, so as not to debase you among the learneds. :)

Little Miss Sunshine said...

what does baaalnoush mean????

Anonymous said...

What is BIL? Sad to hear about your father, my condolences.

Urdu poetry has a rich tradition of reciting poems in a gathering and Mushairas acted as platforms. Sadly, the standard of Mushairas has been going down with time.

You are right, that guy is so rude. It is not that people don't smoke in Mushairas, but when such a senior poet is reciting his poems?

Thanks for the post and the links, I hope to keep on posting audio/videos in future.

@ Sunanda

balaanosh : person who drinks (wine)

Tamanna said...

@Mohib
I was talking about my father's brother in law (BIL) He passed away few years back. My father is very much with us :) God forbid .. :-D

actually thanks for those clippings. main naye urdu shairon se waakif nahi hun.. Only now cos of aligarians.com m getting to know abt them :-)
Keep the good work going :)
Thanks :)

Tamanna said...

@ sunanda
We both are on the same footing. m also learning pure urdu only now. I use the online dictionary :-D
It wil be fun na to attend one together! so lets keep this on our agenda :-D

Anonymous said...

@tamanna

I am really sorry, I misunderstood. Thanks for your encouragement.

@sunanda

Except for some of the earlier Ghazals/Nazms, the rest have either English translations or meanings available. I hope to edit and update the earlier ones soon.