I read this novel and Ill give an outline of the story here. ( This is a spoiler for those who want to read the book. For them, Ill say go grab the book. Too good. )
John is an Englishman, a professor of french history, teaching in France. He has no family and is detached from the world. Just when he loses hope in his life and decides to join an abbey, he meets his mirror image, Jean who physically resembles him but is the exact opposite in nature. Through Jean's trickery, John is forced to live Jean's life when he dopes John and runs away with his documents, clothes- everything that defines John's identity. John is therefore forced to go to Jean's chateau. Knowing nothing about the people he meets, he gradually discovers their relation to Jean, their problems and Jean's role in creating those problems. Hence, he, who is now playing the role of Jean, is made to feel responsible for Jean's follies. John hesitantly gets involved and to a large extent, in a fumbling manner, sorts out the tangles Jean left behind. Just when he has settled into the family he saved from destruction, Jean returns to take his rightful place. Meanwhile, Jean (as John) has destroyed John's systematic life - he has resigned from the university, sold the apartment, encashed his savings, even his cherished Ford car is now muddied and battered. And the story ends with Jean going back to live in the chateau and John continues on his way to abbey.
DdM is a writer par excellence. Her narrative style engages the reader completely. John's path of discovery in the new place with new people, his personal mortification in having to deceive the people of the chateau, his bumbling attempts to solve their problems - almost everything has been very magically described.
Her stories generally reach the depths of despair but always, as a rule, end on a hopeful note. But I have issues with this story. Its not fair at all. Jean has always dealt with his relations in a heartless and reckless manner, destroying their happiness and not even repenting about it. He choses to leave John to deal with them and escapes to nowhere. And just when everything has been set right, he returns to take his place. He always get the best deal and John gets the bad one. Not fair :-(( I hate the ending with all my heart. I wish Jean had died.
I, as a rule, avoid depressing movies as I generally get involved in the plot. Therefore, I avoid books with sad endings with a greater passion, as with books, one uses one's imagination to picturise the setting and so its a greater risk to read such books. And after the ending in this book, I now need a hug very badly..mummmmmmmmmmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie :-((
He he :-D
Happy weekend :-D
John is an Englishman, a professor of french history, teaching in France. He has no family and is detached from the world. Just when he loses hope in his life and decides to join an abbey, he meets his mirror image, Jean who physically resembles him but is the exact opposite in nature. Through Jean's trickery, John is forced to live Jean's life when he dopes John and runs away with his documents, clothes- everything that defines John's identity. John is therefore forced to go to Jean's chateau. Knowing nothing about the people he meets, he gradually discovers their relation to Jean, their problems and Jean's role in creating those problems. Hence, he, who is now playing the role of Jean, is made to feel responsible for Jean's follies. John hesitantly gets involved and to a large extent, in a fumbling manner, sorts out the tangles Jean left behind. Just when he has settled into the family he saved from destruction, Jean returns to take his rightful place. Meanwhile, Jean (as John) has destroyed John's systematic life - he has resigned from the university, sold the apartment, encashed his savings, even his cherished Ford car is now muddied and battered. And the story ends with Jean going back to live in the chateau and John continues on his way to abbey.
DdM is a writer par excellence. Her narrative style engages the reader completely. John's path of discovery in the new place with new people, his personal mortification in having to deceive the people of the chateau, his bumbling attempts to solve their problems - almost everything has been very magically described.
Her stories generally reach the depths of despair but always, as a rule, end on a hopeful note. But I have issues with this story. Its not fair at all. Jean has always dealt with his relations in a heartless and reckless manner, destroying their happiness and not even repenting about it. He choses to leave John to deal with them and escapes to nowhere. And just when everything has been set right, he returns to take his place. He always get the best deal and John gets the bad one. Not fair :-(( I hate the ending with all my heart. I wish Jean had died.
I, as a rule, avoid depressing movies as I generally get involved in the plot. Therefore, I avoid books with sad endings with a greater passion, as with books, one uses one's imagination to picturise the setting and so its a greater risk to read such books. And after the ending in this book, I now need a hug very badly..mummmmmmmmmmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie :-((
He he :-D
Happy weekend :-D
5 comments:
huggieeeeeeee....so u too a du maurier fan ?
Yeah U dint know!!! I thought u did :)
He he that hug came in very useful especially after a looooooong weekend got over :-D
So have you read flight of the falcon? It's been ages since I read Daphne. Do you like Georgette Heyere too?
yeah :-D And I used to like Georgette Heyer too. I used to hunt for her books. But these days, I just cant read her. I guess taste thoda change ho gaya hai. And hey did u try Joanne Harris?
no... GOD so much to read!hehehe...I just finished 'Foault's pendulum' by Umberto Eco...one heavy novel, but worth the read. Has some awesome philosophy at the end of it all!
Post a Comment